Jan 02, 2021 by erin
Anyone else work at Earls Restaurant at some point in their lifetime? I feel like so many of us have! At 15, I cleared and set tables at the Tin Palace location and continued on to work there for nine years off and on throughout high school and university. It was there that I discovered this amazingly flavourful pasta recipe, which my family recreates at home all these years later. It wasn’t originally vegan, but by using a dairy-free feta and choosing an egg-free linguine, it’s fully animal-free and just as delicious. I’d describe this as an impressive dish that’s perfect if you’re hosting non-vegans (or anyone) for dinner or simply craving some bold flavours. This dish truly is amazingly delicious!!!
- 1/4 c. oil (I use extra virgin olive)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced or grated with microplane)
- 1 pint (~1 1/2 c.) cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 c. Kalamata olives (or olives of choice)
- 1/2 c. white wine (or veg broth)
- 1/2 c. marinara or tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp hot sauce (optional)
- 1 pack egg-free linguine (~454g / 16oz)
- 3/4 c. parsley (chopped)
- 3/4 c. basil (chopped)
- 2 c. spinach (optional)
- Tofu feta (to garnish)
- Add oil to a large pan over medium to medium high heat and, once hot, add onions. Cook for about five minutes or until translucent. Next, add garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute. Lastly, add in tomatoes and olives and cook until blistery (about seven minutes), stirring every now and then.
- Cook linguine according to package instructions.
- Once tomatoes are blistered, add white wine or broth, marinara sauce, balsamic and hot sauce (if using). Cook until bubbling, then stir in basil, parsley and spinach (if using). Once greens are wilted, add in your cooked noodles and stir together. Garnish with tofu feta, fresh ground pepper, a pinch of coarse salt and maybe even some chili flakes. Enjoy!