Morning Glory Muffins (aka My Fav Nutritious Muffins)
Mar 26, 2021 by erin
These are hands-down my favourite healthier muffins. While they are delicious, I’m the first to admit that they might not be the most enticing looking?! If I saw these on a blog, I’d probably scroll right past them. But I’ve been making them on and off for 15 years and can attest they are a winner. Even though they are loaded full of grated carrot, they are a delicious sweet muffin, especially with a little dairy-free butter on top. Looking at the recipe, you, too, might be skeptical about the amount of carrot, but somehow it works! If you’re feeding picky kids, you could try the recipe with less carrot. If you use a nutritious flour like spelt, whole wheat or oat, these muffins are even more nutrient dense. Hope you enjoy!
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 5 tbsp water
- 1 c apple sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp vanilla
- 5 medium carrots (grated)
- 1 apple (grated)
- 1/2 c raisins
- 1/2 c unsweetened coconut
- 2 c flour of choice (I usually use spelt)
- 1/3 – 1/2 c coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp fresh-grated nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1. Start by preparing your flax egg: combine ground flax with water in a small bowl, stir and set aside. I like preparing the flax egg well in advance so it can really gel up, but 20 minutes should be enough to let it sit and thicken. Give it a stir every few minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350F and grate carrots and apple (no need to peel either) into a large bowl. Next, add dry ingredients (flour, coconut sugar, spices, salt, baking soda, coconut and raisins) to the same bowl.
- 3. In a separate small to medium sized bowl, add apple sauce, vanilla and flax egg and combine using a spatula. Add wet bowl to the carrot mixture and combine.
- 4. Grease muffin tray and add batter to holes using a cookie scoop or spoon. You’ll have enough batter for twelve heaping muffins. Bake for 25 minutes.
[site_reviews_summary assigned_posts="379" hide="bars, rating" schema="true"]
Add your own review
[site_reviews_form assigned_posts="379" hide="email" label="Testing"]
[site_reviews assigned_posts="379" class="site-reviews" pagination="ajax"]